Thursday, November 10, 2005

Philosophize this

Through my experiences of the past couple of weeks I've come to hate the superficial use of philosophy. But let me start at the starting point and not at the end....

Philosophy as defined by dictionary.com is
  1. Investigation of the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge, or values, based on logical reasoning rather than empirical methods.
it is also defined by Webster as: The sum of the ideas and convictions of an individual or group.
Not to show my science geekiness but for the philosophy to really be of any solid, practical use it has to be based on logical reasoning. Logic is the key to its usefullness so thus we need to thoroughly define logic.
Logic as defined by webster is: a science that deals with the rules and tests of sound thinking and proof by reasoning. 2. sound reasoning
What this means is that logic follows a certain format to be true or sound. The conclusion of the argument must follow the premise(s) and in order for the person to be right his premise(s) must be true for the argument to be true as well.
This brings me to my point....The people that philosophize about the shit that hits the fan don't often follow the rules of logic. You can tell me the meaning of life all you want but unless you've followed some logical path it's just you running your mouth about something you "think" is right. Sit there and philosophize about the blue sky all you want...I'll still call it fanciful ignorance.

Feenix

3 Comments:

Blogger Dav said...

No one plays by the rules of logic, you should know that by now.

When someone has this great idea, 90% of the people are usually behind it. But when it turns sour, all these guys come out of the woodwork saying "AH HAH! Told you so! You should have LISTENED TO US in the first place."

I'm not saying that there arent some cases where someone in charge didnt really take head and went ahead with a dumb idea, I'm just saying people need to make their views known and accounted for.

Sitting in your den, grumbling at the tv and saying how much better YOU would be at running the country isnt how things are going to change John Q. Public!

9:03 AM  
Blogger Feenix said...

Preach it davin! :P That's a very good truth well spoken. I grumble a lot at the tv, but I also grumble at my representitives via letters and email.

Still, there's so much more I could be doing and that's where ya got me. I for one would never make a good president. For one, I'd be killed before my term started and secondly I'd have no real way for the US to get out of the hole that it's in. There are too many kings running this country and funding it's dying ways for anyone to really fix the problem without causing a massive meltdown.

But we still have freedoms...be it inside the prison cell we find ourselves in or not.

Thanks davin! I always look forward to reloading and finding that one comment from ya! Take it easy and be safe!!

Feenix

9:29 AM  
Blogger Dav said...

Uh, typo there "... charge didnt really take head and went..."

that should be..er... 'heed' ?
nm

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home